Gossip & News Archive
Thanks to the Restaurant and Cafe mag for publishing this article called "The Producers".
Proper Crisps is a brand of potato, parsnip, and kumara chips founded by English couple, the Franklin’s, and is now owned by Ned and Mina Smith.
What is your company background, how did you start the business?
“The Franklins are foodies who grew up eating ‘real crisps’ in England. They were travelling the world in pursuit of the perfect crisps, but had no luck. So they decided to make their own the old fashioned way, in small hand stirred batches. They found a traditional cooker whilst on their travels in the USA and returned to New Zealand to start trialling various potato strains. They found that the Agria potato was a perfect match for making a proper crisp and that the High Oleic Sunflower oil was a perfect complement to the creamy flavour of the Agria potato. They added just a light touch of the Marlborough sea salt sourced locally from Lake Grasmere, and that was all it needed to round out the taste of the perfect potato Proper Crisp.”
“In 2010 the Franklins were homesick for their motherland England and decided it was time to pass over the cooker to another foodie couple, Ned and Mina Smith. With an extensive background in the food industry the Smiths were able to recognize what a special premium product it was and have grown the offering, always maintaining the philosophy that “less is more” and offering a snack that is 100% natural real food never compromising. They work with New Zealand farmers to source only the freshest vegetables and the family of Crisps now has grown to include a variety of seasonal root vegetables. The entire range is gluten free, vegan, non-GMO and no MSG added ever.”
What is the current product range and variants and how do these products stand out in the market?
Read more at
2 Ways Proper Crisps Give You Fuel…
Here at Proper Crisps we are all keen keen advocates for a healthy and active lifestyles!
As you can imagine, we’re thrilled to be major sponsors of New Zealand’s Coast to Coast Multisport Race; and to be supporting World Champion athlete and adventure racer, Elina Ussher. 4TH time winner of the Coast to Coast.
As you can imagine, with a passion for sport and the fact that we’re based in one of the most beautiful outdoor adventure playgrounds in New Zealand, sunny Nelson, we know a thing or two about how to fuel your body. That’s why Proper Crisps are 100% natural; we’ll never compromise on that. Your Proper Crisps are…
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- GMO Free
- Vegan Friendly
- With no added MSG
But let’s get down to detail… Here’s how Proper Crisps will rev your engine and spin your wheels, baby!
1. They’re cleverly complex – Don’t be perplexed… It’s a good thing! Potatoes, Kumara and Parsnips are all good sources of complex carbohydrates. They contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, but most importantly they give energy to all the cells in your body. So whether you’re fuelling up prior to game day, or refuelling after your adventure… Pop a pack of Proper in your pack to replenish body and soul!
2. They’ll super charge your sodium levels – All too often salt gets a bad rap; but the low salty goodness of Proper Crisps will help your body keep its fluids in balance. Sodium plays a key role in nerve and muscle function. Remember, when it comes to salt, we only use the good stuff, the finest Marlborough Sea Salt, sourced from the snowy stacks that grace the landscape at Lake Grassmere.
Need to fuel up Properly? Shop HERE… Or find your nearest Proper STOCKIST.
Finalist in the NZ Food Awards
We are super excited to be nominated as a finalist in the NZ Food Awards with our Cider Vinegar and Sea Salt Crisps last night!!We are heading to the NZ Food Awards Gala Evening at the Auckland Town Hall Thursday, September 17th to celebrate and to find out the winners...fingers and toes crossed!!
Meet our cooker
Meet Troy, he is one of our expert cookers.
- How long have you been with Proper Crisps?
Nearly two years.
- What's your favourite flavour?
Sea Salt and Vinegar
- Tell us something people don't know about you?
I'm a dead keen motorcycle enthusiast; I have just bought a new bike and occasionally dablle in the local drag racing scene. My goal is to achieve a sub 10sec 1/4 mile - A local Burt Munro. And I would like to retire when I'm 50!
- What is your main role in at Proper Crisps?
I'm the factory supervisor looking after the day to day running of the factory, guiding my team forward while stirring the crisps - A real multi-tasker!